I'm not big on dieting. I fully believe that eating right and exercising is the key to a healthy weight (duh!). Unfortunately, I don't always eat right and I definitely don't always exercise. My problem is generally motivation. I would much rather read a book or watch a good tv show than trek to a gym or go out for a run in the middle of winter.
Erica House is a blogger I've been following for a while. I'd suggest you go check out her blog if you're looking for some inspiration because she seems to have turned her health (and maybe her life!) around completely. She is running a program through a website called DietBet. I hadn't heard of it before her most recent blog post but I have to say I was intrigued. You can check out her explanation here, but basically it is a bet you make. $20 in at the start, and after a month if you've lost 4% of your body weight you split the pot with all those who hit the 4% mark. Which means if you lose the 4%, you get your $20 back plus some.
- Who doesn't like wagering a little money now and then?
- Who isn't more motivated when their money is on the line?
- The bet lasts for a month which is a completely reasonable timeframe to maintain some healthier eating and some increased exercise (though obviously the greater goal is to continue beyond that!)
- 4% is a completely reasonable number to lose in a month. It won't require anything drastic, but it would make enough of an impact that I would be pretty happy
And most importantly,
- Bathing suit season is quickly approaching and I haven't been on a beach in almost two years!