Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Hello, World.

I know, I know.  It's been a while.  I have a bad habit of dropping this blog for months at a time.  I always come back to it though!

Even though it's only been a few months, so much has happened and I'm having a hard time just trying to decide where to start.

I suppose the biggest thing at the moment is that I recently gave my two weeks notice at my job!

I never really went into detail, but back in June I was promoted to a new position at my company.  It was supposed to be new, exciting, and challenging, but it turned out to be none of those things.  Within a few weeks I was very bored.  I did my due diligence and went to my boss to discuss any projects or new work that I could take on.  He was very understanding and went out of his way to find things to keep me busy, but it didn't amount to much more than that -- busy work.

Then October came and the shutdown hit.  I forget the exact numbers, but our company was definitely affected by it.  Of course training and development was the first budget to get cut.  This meant that the very small amounts of work I actually did have keeping me busy disappeared.  It was also at this time that the company mandated that all employees use 80 hours of our earned time off in the 4th quarter to offset the losses from the shutdown.  I didn't have 80 hours earned so I had to borrow from 2014.  This meant I was starting the new year almost a week negative in my vacation time.

All of these factors combined made me decide that it was time to start looking for employment elsewhere. I started halfheartedly looking until just before Christmas when it was announced that our company had been bought out by another based in Virginia.  While this upset many people here, I was secretly ecstatic.  This meant I could now openly look for a new job with a much better excuse than boredom.

I applied to everything under the sun during my time off around Christmas and New Years.  I had what feels like dozens of phone screens which led to several in person interviews, that turned into two job offers in the same day.  The two jobs were entirely different.  They were in different fields, doing different work, with different people.

It was a pretty tough and exhausting decision to make.

In the end the company I decided to go with was a literacy software company.  They develop and sell programs to help people with speech problems and learning disabilities.  Having grown up with a sister who had speech problems, this company was already close to my heart.

I will be working in a sales support role.  This is entirely different from my current HR position, but the company is so small that I will hopefully get the chance to try out a few different things in vastly different areas - something I never got to do here and would not have gotten the chance to do at the other company offering me a job.

So, right now I'm just waiting.  I gave my two weeks notice on Friday.  Everyone is happy for me and they will all be moving on themselves in the near future.  I'm just glad I will be out before the mess of packing everything up takes place.

Hopefully over the next few weeks I'll be able to keep up the blogging since I've got almost no work and I've already completed all of my cleaning / purging of files!

Since I have no relevant pictures to share, here's one of my niece.  I'm sure that's really the only reason why anyone even checks this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment