Halloween Costume Making

Monday, November 2, 2015

For the first time in about four years I actually had a Halloween party to attend this year.  It was also my first time doing Halloween as part of a couple, so I wanted to make sure I did it right.

We decided to go as Jaime and Cersei Lannister from Game of Thrones. Yes, it's sick (for anyone who doesn't watch the show let's just say that they are brother and sister... but also more than that), but it was funny for us since we've been told we look like siblings on multiple occasions.  It also gave me a great opportunity to make our costumes from scratch.

Growing up my mother always hand made my costumes.  They almost always came out great, though I vividly remember being about 4 years old and getting upset because the butterfly fell of the tail of my Bambi costume and everyone thought I was a chipmunk.

I started sewing lessons in 4th grade and made a few of my own costumes in high school, but it's been about 15 years since I really took my sewing machine out and made anything.   

I started with McCall's M6940 pattern.  I was going back and forth between a couple, but this one seemed the easiest considering how long I've been out of the sewing game.
It was kind of like relearning a foreign language that you once knew pretty well, but were never fluent in. All of the numbers and sizes and fabrics were pretty daunting at times, but I'm a huge dork and find numbers and word problems fun.
I chose a burgundy and shimmery gold color for my dress.  It was only after cutting everything and starting to sew things together that I realized I was pretty much making and Ironman dress.
There were some growing pains in the beginning but I was shocked at how quickly things came back to me.  When I had decided to start the project my mom looked at me a little dubiously.  We both had memories of me in high school ready to rip my hair out in frustration at my sewing.  It took me a while to realize why it felt so different this time around but there were two huge things working in my favor.

1. I was no longer in high school (no more school all day, sports all afternoon, homework all night and THEN trying to squeeze in time on a project).

and

2. The internet! YouTube was a lifesaver.  I'm glad I lived in a time before instant access to the internet because it really makes me appreciate it today.

My dress came together surprisingly easy.  I did spend many hours on it but it was so rewarding that the time I spent didn't feel like a waste.

Josh's costume was almost entirely from the Salvation Army.

I got an extra large women's leather jacket for $13, Brown pants for $3, and belt for $1.

 I cut all of the buttons off the jacket, cut off the lapels, and sewed on some buckles.

For a tunic I took one of his old Army shirts that my dog chewed a hole through almost two years ago and cut the collar off and ripped the seams out of the sleeves and bottom hem. I then cut a v-neck, added some eyelets, and then tied it up with some cord.

The final (and possibly most iconic) part of Josh's costume was his hand.  For anyone who doesn't watch the show, his hand is cut off at one point and he gets a gold prosthetic.   I saved this for last because I really had no clue how I should do it.

I ended up papier-mâché-ing a winter glove.  While it didn't come out perfect, I was pretty surprised with how well it worked.  I then coated it all with gold acrylic paint. 


My sister's girlfriend is a hair dresser and just so happened to have the day off of work on Friday so she was able to my hair Cersei style.
Here's what we were going for versus the final product.
 Source1 Source2

The costumes were a hit, but more importantly they reminded me how much I love to make things. Now that I've got a sewing station set up in my room I'm very motivated to keep this going.  I'm just working on what I want to make next, but I've already got several ideas lined up.

No comments:

Post a Comment